IIT or Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur was established in the year 1951 is a public technical institute. It is the first of IITs to ba formed and recognised as an Institute of National Importance. In 2019 Indian government awarded it a status of Institute of Eminence. The institute offers Doctor of Philosophy degree (PhD). The doctoral scholars are given a topic by the professor or work on the consultancy projects sponsored by industry. The duration of the programme is usually unspecified and depends on discipline. The PhD scholars have to submit the thesis as well as to conduct an oral defence of their thesis. Both teaching and research assistantships are provided based on the scholar's academic profile. Candidates can check more relevant information about the PhD IIT Kharagpur admission below in the article.
- IIT-KGPA application form the last date for PhD Autumn admission is 30 April 2020.
- IIT Kharagpur PhD notification 2020 for Autumn semester has been released.
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Highlights
Aspirants can check the basic information about the IIT Kharagpur below in the given table:
|Name of Institute||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-KGP) Kharagpur|
|Institute Type||Central Institute of National Importance|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Ph.D.: Departmental Admission Test+ Work Experience+ Academic Record+ Interview|
|Counselling||CCMN (M.Sc-Ph.D.) and National Level for other courses|
Before applying for the PhD admission candidates are advised to must check the eligibility below. Click here to apply for IIT Kharagpur PhD Autumn admission 2020
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Schedule
Applications are invited for admission to the PhD Programme(Regular, Sponsored, Working Professionals and Individual Fellowship) of the Institute in all disciplines of Engineering, Technology, Science, Architecture & Regional Planning, Rural Development, Law, Humanities & Social Sciences and Management. Candidates can check the vital dates for same below in the given table:
IIT-KGPA PhD Admission 2020 for Autumn Semester
|Commencement of online application form submission||01 April 2020|
|Last date to submit the form||30 April 2020|
|Date of Test & Interviews||To be announced|
|Commencement of course||To be announced|
Candidates can also check the details for IIT Kharagpur UG and PG admission here.
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Courses & Eligibility
The research areas offered at IIT Kharagpur are given below:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Architecture and Regional Planning
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering
- Geology and Geophysics
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Eligibility Criteria
All candidates seeking admission to the PhD program of Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur under the categories mentioned below shall have to possess requisite marks/grades in the qualifying degree as shown below:
- Should have a minimum score of 60% marks or a CGPA of 6.5 in 10 point scale in the qualifying examination(see below) in Engineering /Science /Commerce /Management/ Law and/or equivalent.
- Minimum 55% marks or a CGPA of 6.0 in 10 point scale in the qualifying examination(read below) in Humanities/Social Science/MBBS degree and/or equivalent.
Note- As per the Institute rule CGPA will not be converted into percentage and vice versa. The admission will be based on the CGPA or Percentage of marks awarded in the transcript.
Minimum Qualifying degree required for IIT-KGP PhD admission
- M.Tech / MSc. Engg / ME
- M. Arch./ MCP (PG in City planning) /MRP (Master of Regional Planning)
- M. Phil. (2 years programme)
- MBA / PG Diploma in Management (after completion of B.Tech /M.Sc / MA / M.Com)
- LLM (2 years) after either at least 5 years of integrated LLB degree after 10+2 examination OR 3 years LLB degree after graduation
- A degree equivalent to any of the above
- B.Tech./ BE / B.Sc (Engg.)
- MBA/PG Diploma in Management
- MBBS with 1-year compulsory internship
- 5 years (minimum) of integrated LLB degree after 10+2 examination OR 3 years LLB degree after 10+2+3 examination
- A degree equivalent to any of the above
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Category-Wise Additional Requirements
Along with the above eligibility requirements seeking applicants will have to fulfil below mentioned additional requirements:
- Regular with Institute Assistantship -
- Candidates should produce a valid GATE score and also above the cut off level as decided by the Senate or NET qualification with Lectureship/Assistant Professorship for the award of Institute Research Assistantship.
- For PhD admission, the validity of NET qualification with Lectureship /Assistant Professorship is for 03 years from the date of declaration of NET results.
- An employed person seeking to get admission in PhD and get selected must resign and produce the acceptance of resignation by the employer at the time of joining or produce a document that he/she is not receiving any salary from his/her employer along with proper documentation of sanctioned leave.
- The Institute Research Assistantship shall be awarded for a maximum period of 5 years. At present, the amounts are as follows: Rs. 31,000/- pm for first 2 years and Rs. 35,000/- pm for the next 3 years.
- The candidate will not be given any emoluments, salary, stipend or any other scholarship/assistantship during IRA.
- Individual Fellowship (CSIR/UGC/DBT/ICAR/INSPIRE etc.)-
- All candidates applying under this category must have valid award letter with fellowship issued by the respective fellowship agency (i.e. CSIR/UGC/ DST/DBT/ICMR etc.).
- Candidates admitted under Individual Fellowship category shall not be entitled to Institute Research Assistantship.
- Aspirants having provisional Individual Fellowship award letter must give an undertaking that “In case of cancellation/withdrawal of Provisional award of fellowship by the funding agency, the admission at IIT Kharagpur will be cancelled from the date of joining the PhD programme and there is no liability on the part of IIT Kharagpur in this regard”.
- Sponsored Candidates- Persons who possess the minimum prescribed qualifications as mentioned in the minimum qualifying degree (without GATE/NET) and are in service in any of the following establishments ( like Defence or other ministries of the Indian Government or any other government organizations; Established industrial research and development organizations; Autonomous bodies and public undertakings; Universities/colleges and or Reputed industries as may be recognized by the Institute) with a minimum of 2 years Jon experience will be considered a sponsored candidate.
- PhD through Projects- All candidates who possess the minimum educational qualification in a qualifying degree and are working in a sponsored project of the Institute (i.e. under auspices of SRIC of the Institute) are considered under project category.
Get the information about ICMR JRF 2020
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 for B.Tech from IITs and Working Professionals
Candidates can check the eligibility and admission process below in the given points:
- For IITs(B.Tech)- A candidate who holds B.Tech degree and Dual Degree (B.Tech & M.Tech ) and having final CGPA >= 8.00 from Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will be given direct admission in PhD programme with Institute Research Assistantship.
- For Working Professionals with Minimum Residential Requirements-
- She/he should be having (at least) B Tech/BE/MBBS/MSc degree (or equivalent) from a well reputed educational institution with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 in a 10 point scale or minimum 75% in their Bachelor’s as well as Masters’ degree (if applicable). The Institute will not convert marks grade in percentage.
- 02 years of post-qualification experience for candidates holding a Bachelor/Master degree in relevant
- Candidates must submit a ‘NO OBJECTION’ certificate issued from their company.
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Selection Process
The candidates are selected for PhD admission based on the following criteria:
- Overall Academic Performance
- Written / Computer Test
- Documentation and Interview
Check the details of CSIR-UGC NET 2020, UGC NET 2020
IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020 Application Process
By following the below steps candidates can apply for IIT Kharagpur PhD admission 2020:
- Visit the official website of the Institute and click on Admission.
- Then a dropdown box will open click on PhD.
- After that click on Apply Online given on the page down below.
- Then fill the details asked for registration like the Applicant's name, valid email id, DOB, password, etc.
- After registration is done login again with the registered email id and password to fill the remaining details.
- Must upload the required documents and signature in the prescribed format only.
- Make the fee payment. Payment of application fee has to be made through online payment gateway only.
- After completing the form must get the printout the form and keep it safe untill the admission process gets over.
Application Fee for IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2020
|Unreserved/OBC/EWS/Transgender candidates||Rs 1000/-|
|Unreserved/OBC/EWS/Transgender candidates||Rs 500/-|